Share on ThriftyFunThis page contains the following solutions. Have something to add? Please share your solution!
First part of this was my sisters re-vow in 2002. The dress and veil were in part 1. (Link below) So, now that the dress and the veil were done, we set upon seeing how much we had to spend on fabric for the flower girls' outfits and their flower baskets.
In Tucson, we had fabric discount places and we found the cutest pastel fabric for simple skirts. They were just 7 and 9 back then, so it was an easy task for them. It was basically a rectangle, with a seam up the back, elastic in the waist and the straight hems. Each girl wore matching white blouses, and their own shoes, which simplified things. As you can see, they worked out great.
The flower baskets were easy too, but if I blew them up to show you detail, it would be blurry. So I took a piece of coat hanger and made 6 heart shapes, each about 5 inches tall and 4 inches wide. Then I laid them on the matching skirt fabric and traced around them. Giving myself plenty of room, about 1/2 inch, I cut the fabric and made some notches around the curved parts. Then I folded them over, and sewed them to the frame shapes.
I did this by hand, knowing the lace would cover the hand stitching. When I had 6 heart shapes, I hot glued them together to make a solid/heart shaped basket frame. Then the lace went around the top of all 6 curved shapes (the hearts two top halves) and I was ready for the handles. I crocheted them so that each basket would have 3 strands for them to hold onto. They were ready to fill with fake pastel colored flowers.
The girls headbands were just that. We got some dollar tree headbands and covered them with the fabric, embellished with some of the flower girl basket flowers, so they all coordinated.
Their mom was the Matron of Honor, and her dress was store bought by her, embellished by me. Sadly, you can't see it but I put a small trim of beads along the neckline and the sleeves. The flowers were Dollar Tree with some ribbon I had to bring them all together. Since the dress was peach, we went with that theme for the brides flowers. Her bouquet was more of the peach, but with other pastel flowers included. I put her flowers in white duct tape to keep them all together, then covered them with lace. I made floral and ribbon embellished comb for the back of her hair, and she looked lovely.
Our budget was now at about $75.00 with the flowers, fabric, duct tape, headbands and ribbon.
Next time. All the little things we never thought about till it was very close to the wedding date.
Source: My desperation to help my sister
During that time, her husband lost his job and after Sept, not many people were in the mood to celebrate much of anything. That is when we need to the most. We picked May of 02 and planned it down to the last detail.
Her colors were pastel, which made it so much simpler to find what we wanted, and fun, too. So we had peach, pink, yellow, mint green, baby blue, and lavender.
I ended up doing it all but that is what she needed and what I do best, so we can start today with a couple basics. I am sorry is there are not as many photos as I would have liked to share with you.
Money was tight, so we came up with a plan to spend just $300.00. Now for most, that would be the dress budget alone, and a pretty plain one at that.
We found a dress at Goodwill for $50.00 and she loved it. Being a big gal, it was a challenge but it didn't take long to find her dream dress. It was "almost" perfect. The things that weren't were the neckline was for a bustier gal, and it had a few tiny little spots on it. Piece of cake.
I got some white faux pearls and un-waxed dental floss. Making a very good (and hidden) knot inside the neckline, I gathered the fabric as I used the pearls to "draw it up" as I went. I had to do it while it was on her so I didn't do work and then have to undo it.
The spots were less work, but just as "problem solving" as the other. I simply sewed a tiny pearlescent sequin on the spots, and randomly on the rest of the skirt, so it looked like they were supposed to be there. No one ever knew about either problem.
She wanted to keep the same veil as she had 25 years before. So I simply covered the headband with lace and used stitch witchery to "sew" a newer hem to it, using sateen seam binding, just trimmed in the back so it wouldn't show. Thank goodness for hot glue sticks being cheap. At one point, I used about 100 of them. So not counting the glue sticks, we were at about $50.00 and 50¢ for the lace.
The flowers were from Dollar Tree and bound with ribbon. Her nails came from there too, so we are about about $55.00.
So that is phase one. I will do the wedding in increments so you lovely readers don't get overwhelmed or worse, fall asleep!
Source: My work during my sisters re-vow.