Adding Fresh Flowers to Cake Decoration
An inexpensive twist for wedding cake decoration is fresh flowers. It's important to keep the cake protected when using these flowers as decorations so it will be safe to eat.
Share on ThriftyFunThis page contains the following solutions. Have something to add? Please share your solution!
November 6, 2019
Here is a tutorial on how to add fresh flowers to a cake while also making the cake food safe.
This is an inexpensive twist on a traditional wedding cake. You could buy plain double layered cakes in lieu of a wedding cake. I custom ordered these 2 cakes from Whole Foods for $34 each. To make the caked tier style, I used two cake stands and elevated one cake. This worked out because my wedding venue provided cake slices per person.
- piece of paper
- Saran Wrap or Ziploc bags
- floral wire
- floral tape
- I sketched a drawing the size of my cake to see how big the flower arrangements could be that I needed to make for my cake.
- I had an extra bouquet of flowers so I unraveled the flowers.
- I organized the flowers in the arrangements I would like them to be.
- Once you have your arrangements ready wrap them with floral tape. Use floral wire for additional structure if needed. Trim the arrangements down accordingly.
- To store overnight, lightly dampen a paper towel and wrap around the flower stems and place in your fridge.
- On the day of, using Saran Wrap (best option) or cut strips of a Ziploc bag (which is the option I used because I forgot Saran Wrap) wrap the plastic around the flower. They are ready to place directly into the cake. Decorate the cake with your flower arrangements.